Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Almost Wordless Wednesday - November 4, 2009


This is a photo of a rather infamous American gunslinger, before he spent time in prison. He was on a rather famous cattle drive here, with some of his cousins. He lived nearly his entire [short] life in the only state in the United States that reserved its right to its own domain as a Republic. He was shot and killed there in a saloon. And is buried in a grave that had to be surrounded with a barred cage to prevent looters from defacing and robbing the grave even a hundred years after his death.
I've mentioned him before in this blog. And he's part of my dear hubby's family history.
Care to guess who this "wild" bad boy is?

1 comment:

BeNotForgot said...

Well ... as a native Texan ... who has dug around on your blog a bit ... because your husband has names in common with names in my tree ... I know this one to be John Wesley Hardin ...

I have a direct maternal HENRY line that goes back to Kentucky and Virginia ... with a deadend at William Henry who married Jemima Thomason Benson.

And in the extended branches of our tree are people named CLEMMONS (various spellings) ... that goes back to James Clemmons in Virginia who married Nancy Carroll.

I keep figuring I'll find a connection if I hang out here often enough!

Enjoying your blog -- thanks for sharing.

Vickie in Texas