Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Josiah Wiseman


"IN
Memory of
ELDER: JOSIAH WISEMAN
a faithful minister in the baptist
church
Died  Oct. 18, 1844
AGED
61 yrs.   8 mos. & 19 dys
In my Fathers house are many mansions, it were not so
I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for upi I will come
again, and receive you unto myself, that where I am
there ye may be also. John 14 (illegible)"


Josiah Wiseman was born 21 Jan 1783, probably in Rowan County, North Carolina, to Jacob Wiseman [1745-1807] and his mother is believed to have been Elizabeth Henderson [1745 - 1805].

At this time I have been unable to locate a marriage record for him, so it is unknown if he ever married or not.

According to his grave marker [and this states "In Memory Of", so I'm not even positive if this is just a memorial, or if this is actually where he is buried], he was an Elder in the Baptist Church. [The Wiseman family for many years have been influential in the Baptist and Methodist churches.]

Josiah is buried at...
Jersey Baptist Church
Lexington, Davidson, North Carolina
[according to Find A Grave Memorial #Find A Grave Memorial# 13825416 - via here]

The cemetery is located behind the church...


...Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery
Lexington, Davidson, North Carolina.

No comments: